The Devotional Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
James
Admin
https://qtsforjamesandhanna.rpg-board.net

May 4th          Empty May 4th

Fri 04 May 2018, 11:36 pm
Scripture Passage: Ezekiel 16:1-63

The saddest passage in all of the Old Testament, perhaps all of the Bible.

We start to see a glimpse of God's love for Israel in the context off frustration, anger, and ultimately jealousy.
Verses 1 to 14 are indicative of God's relationship to Israel as a nurturing husband, one that had provided the best. Verses 9 to 13 we start to see that God had provided Israel garments, jewelry, luxury, and food. Verses 1 to 6 show God's relationship with the nation as one that had no hope, as if it was adopted.

It is clear that nobody showed sympathy to Israel other than God. And yet they turned to their idols. And God illustrates the idolatry of Israel as prostitution. Eliciting themselves as prostitutes, though they received no payment yet gave payment (v.35-36). We see the usage of God's resources, His love, and His care squandered and utilized for something other than God. And at that current time, it seemed as if the prophet Ezekiel was alluding to the fact that Israel turned to other nations for help rather than trusting in God.

The rest, verses 35 to 63 portray judgement. It consists of God's frustration and anger. Not that He is looking for vengeance or destruction, rather in order that Israel may be reminded of who they ought to trust in. The love that God has for us is so tremendous that He is willing to discipline us. He is willing to crush us, and humiliate us. But if this is what it takes to pursue Him and to pursue holiness, should we not warmly welcome the discipline the Father has for us?

Hebrews 12:7-8 states, "It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons."
-I am looking to be disciplined. And as God has, is currently, and always will love me as His son, I must then await the discipline that has been prepared for me - for my sake and for the sake of my love for God.

Hanna please pray that God's disciplinary work will be done and that His Holy Spirit may accompany me throughout this time before seminary and then forevermore. Always a pleasure journeying with you <3
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum