The Devotional Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
James
Admin
https://qtsforjamesandhanna.rpg-board.net

May 5th         Empty May 5th

Sun 06 May 2018, 12:16 am
Scripture Passage: Isaiah 1:1-4 and Jeremiah 2:5

Two more short passages from two of the other major prophets in the Old Testament. Also in context to Ezekiel 16 of Israel's idolatry, here we find that God is accusing Israel for not knowing their God.
-I think that there is more to knowing than just having knowledge of something. To know someone or something seems rather difficult to gauge but here we find that Israel does not know their God, for if they knew how loving and gracious He truly was - there would be no reason to live in idolatry.

Isaiah 1:2-3, "Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: “Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master's crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.”
-An analogy used for comparison, to state that an ox and a donkey both know their masters and their master's homes but we see that the people of Israel lack knowledge in where basic cattle do.

Jeremiah 2:5, "Thus says the LORD: "What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?"
-An accusation made with grief and sorrow, questioning as to what fault that Israel found in God that they would pursue after idols. This verse really hit me in the gut, as God has every reason to ask me this question also. What fault do I find in God that I would turn to my sin? Are there blemishes in the God that we believe in? Absolutely not...

It's very easy to nit pick verses and forget the context behind them. Following a few verses after in chapter 1 of Isaiah, verse 18 states,
"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."
-God always opens opportunities for us to wrestle with him, to repent and to better understand our sinfulness as well as better understanding God. I'm eternally grateful that we have this mentality between us too - that we can be honest with each other and to better understand each other's perspectives.
-I am able to go to bed, rest assured that God will cleanse me of all of my sinfulness. God is patient. Yet I need to learn not to take this for granted - in order that I may become that much more patient myself.

Love you Hanna. Hope you enjoy your final evening at Mark Central - immensely happy to hear that you are growing in so many ways possible. May God continue to nurture and grow you in faith.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum