The Devotional Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
hannalee
Admin

May 9th    Empty May 9th

Wed 09 May 2018, 10:06 pm
Passage: 1 Peter 5

v.5 "... Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
- humility was a recurring theme during my week at MARKcentral; we talked a lot about how Jesus demonstrated it and how we can be more like Him
- sometimes it is soo hard to be humble, especially when comparing myself to others who I believe are beneath me! (cuz I'm a queen hehe) - definitely something that I can work on

v.8 "... Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeing someone to devour."
- this metaphor/imagery is so strong; the devil is powerful and destructive and always ready to come at us (fight me bro) so we should always be alert and wary of our surroundings that may tempt us into sin

v.9 "Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world."
- love this verse! my brothers and sisters and everyone in this world suffers in their own way!
- I need to remind myself to count my blessings because there are so many people who have so much less than I do

tongue
James
Admin
https://qtsforjamesandhanna.rpg-board.net

May 9th    Empty Re: May 9th

Thu 10 May 2018, 12:15 am
Scripture Passage: Jeremiah 9:23, "Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."

-Wisdom, strength, and riches are referenced here in these two beautiful verses in the theme of rebellion towards God written from a major prophet's perspective.
-What good is wisdom, that man's wisdom is foolishness to God? To know and to contain an abundance of wisdom is nothing - if one does not know God. Knowing God is everything, there is no wisdom or knowledge that is outside of knowing God that is worthwhile.
-Secondly, what good is strength? What substantial effort can be made as humans? "For who can make straight what the LORD has made crooked?" (Eccl. 7:13) Life is short. Life is frail. And our lives are in the hands of God and in His sovereignty.

Lastly, when we regard riches and material possessions, it must be recognized that it is foolish to try to keep what we cannot have. God has lent us everything, nothing is truly ours. Even our lives aren't ours (kinda funny especially when its phrased as 'our lives')
-1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

Jim Elliot, a martyred missionary stated, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Our possession is in God, and the material things that we cling so dearly to, will one day return back to Him. Should we then refuse to enjoy the blessings that God has given us? Absolutely not.
- And I commend joy, for man has nothing better under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun. (Eccl. 8:15)

Yet, we must understand that above all these things that were mentioned by the prophet Jeremiah, we must make it our goal to know God and understanding Him to the extent of boasting that we do have knowledge of Him.
-Just prayed for the both of us, hope that we can come to a better understanding of God on a daily level - onto eternity. Love you.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum