The Devotional Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
hannalee
Admin

May 17th   Empty May 17th

Thu 17 May 2018, 10:07 pm
Passage: Romans 1

At MARKcentral, I was talking to a girl after our last study session and she suggested I read Romans 1-9 because it related to what we learned that day

v.16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."
- reminds me of what I studied in Mark 1: "Now the woman was a Greek, a Syrophoeni'cian by birth. And she begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter. And he said to her, 'Let the children first be fed, for it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.'"

v.17 "For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith..."
- revealed from faith and not works
James
Admin
https://qtsforjamesandhanna.rpg-board.net

May 17th   Empty Re: May 17th

Fri 18 May 2018, 2:02 am
Scripture Passage: Philippians 2:14-18

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me."

Other versions such as the NLT states that we ought to do everything without complaining. Grumbling under our breath is probably the greatest sin or displeasure that we have in our current situations. We all do it, we complain and we end up being ungrateful. After a long shift tonight, I found myself witnessing everyone, myself included, complaining about something - if it be due to exhaustion, or that they're not receiving the help to the extent where they would want it, etc, etc. But this is not the life that God has called us to - rather to live in gratitude and thanksgiving.
-As His children, we are to represent God, our Father. As salt and light, we are beacons to Christ, particularly as His ambassadors who literally represent Him.

Paul ends off his encouragement with the fact that He is glad and rejoicing. He is literally writing this letter to the church in Philippi in prison.
-A beautiful encouragement, and a very honourable example - to reveal Christ!

Just like how we always sing Man of Sorrows, Christ truly was silent as He was beaten, mocked, and scorned. And yet, we find ourselves complaining and inventing ways to grumble.
-A reflection on my end is, 'Do I find myself so satisfied with God that I can't bear to complain about anything?'
-I think we need to catch ourselves in the midst of our complaining and respond with the appropriate attitude of gratitude <3
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum